As a PRSA member, here are some additional resources and links to supplement our program on social media, crisis communications, and secrets to effective communications when “it” hits the fan.
1) A copy of my First Critical Statement can be downloaded with this link.
To download it for free, enter the coupon code CRISISCOMPLAN
An e-mail will be sent instantly. Make sure it doesn’t go to your spam filter by authorizing my e-mail address email@example.com
2) I think video is an amazing way to achieve effective communications during a crisis. It should be a vital part of your social media strategy and it can be an amazing way to get your message directly to the media. Training is critical to getting it right. This link takes you to a tutorial that teaches you everything I do when I’m creating iReports for CNN. The same strategy works on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook.
3) A crisis communications drill is vital to good performance during your crisis. This article outlines the elements of a good drill.
4) Speed is critical in a crisis. This article outlines missed opportunities to communicate quickly during a shooting.
5) Sometimes a crisis is the result of problems on social media. This article outlines how
Burger King failed to practice good crisis communications when their Facebook page was hacked.